Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Zion National Park

Chad and I (and Chad's friend Kent) went camping at Zion National Park on Sunday night. We got to Zion on Sunday afternoon and went to hike the Narrows (my fav @ ZNP) but just as we got to the entrance, the whole sole of Chad's water shoe came off :( So we turned back and went to the Emerald Pools and Weeping Rock. We camped out Sunday night and Monday morning, we packed up early and headed out to Angel's Landing. It was the most incredible (and difficult) hike we have ever experienced! I highly recommend it if you're up for it and if you're not afraid of heights! We enjoyed beautiful views, adorable little critters, some creepy bugs, good company, good food, and some wonderful memories!

This is the view of The Narrows as you're coming in. It is absolutely gorgeous and serene. The water was REALLY murky and a bit gross this time around as you may notice. Usually the water is crystal clear.

Me- all by my lonesome since Chad's shoe broke. I decided to hike in a little bit by myself.

Chad and Kent touching the 2,000 year old water dripping at Weeping Rock.

The view from Weeping Rock into Zion Canyon.

Chad being very manly and making dinner on Sunday night!

We were about 10 feet away from these two deer as we started our hike to Angel's landing!

"See, I'm fine babe!" What you can't see from this picture is that this rock juts up from one of the "21" switchbacks from hell and that if I took one step off the opposite side I was standing, I would have fallen to my rocky death.

The final ascent to the top of Angel's landing. As you can see, this is not a hike for the faint of heart. There was a point where there was only about five feet of rock and a chain to hold on to and on either side- 800 to 1200 feet of death.

Chad being VERY cautious at the top of Angel's Landing and enjoying the view down!

Me being not as cautious as Chad :) You can't see down well enough though...

A very happy Bethany at the top enjoying the view!!!

The view of the Virgin River from the top, as well as the shuttle stop at Big Bend into the Temple of Sinawava- entrance to The Narrows.

The view down Zion Canyon toward the Visitor Center from the top- this was by far my favorite view!

1 comment:

Me said...

WOW!! That sounds and looks like you guys had so much fun. I love Zions, and I miss being so close to it.